Welcome to Brierley Class
Hello and welcome to our webpage. We are a Year 3 and Year 4 class
Your parental support is vital to your child’s progress and education. Please support us by:
- Encouraging your child to complete and return homework on time and giving support where appropriate.
- Reading regularly at home with your child. Even as little as just 5 minutes daily, can help to improve your child's reading ability
- Letting us know if your child will be going home with someone else.
- Ensuring that your child brings the correct items to school each day, including their reading diary, spelling book and P.E kit.
- Our PE lessons take place on Monday afternoons and Wednesday afternoons
- Spelling tests will take place on Thursday mornings
- Homework will be set on a Thursday to be handed in the following Thursday
We hope to keep you updated with all of our class topics and events throughout the year. We hope that you will enjoy finding out about our learning.
This half term the children will be completing their look at Historical stories by studying 'Robin Hood' by Marcia Wallace. We will be lookin at how the other has chosen to write in a comic book style and the features that she has included. The children will be performing short drama pieces, writing a recount of the events and writing their own version of the story.
The children will also be learning about non-chronological reports. Here they will identify features of non chronological reports, learn about the different types of language used in a report (adverbial phrases, 3rd person etc) and produce a non chronological report on Earthquakes (which ties in with our topic work).
We will also begin to read 'Who Let The Gods Out' by Maz Evans as our class reading book.
In Maths, the children will be learning about:
- Addition & Subtraction (using place value to add and subtract, using the expanded column method)
- Multiplication and division
This term we will be learning about Angry Earth. We will be finding out where in the world active volcanoes are, how
they form and why they erupt. We will also be learning about Earthquakes. We will find out tectonic plates and how Earthquakes are measured. We will also learn about other natural disasters and how the Earth can be angry like hurricanes, tornadoes and tsunamis.
Science - Animals including humans (Food and Nutrition)
In our Science lessons, we will be learning about the food and nutrition that animals need to survive and thrive.
We will be able to identify the different food groups and say why each group is important. We will learning about which food groups we need more and less of in our diets. We will also be comparing our human diets to that of other animals.
In R.E. we will be finding out about the Jewish festival of Passover and learning about the Easter story
In P.E. we will be taking part in net/wall games lessons with Mr Morris and invasion games lessons with Mr Ward
In Music we will be studying the song 'Three Little Birds' by Bob Marley. Here we will learn about the different elements of music (pulse, rhythm, pitch etc.) as well as singing and playing instruments.
Our ICT lessons will focus on e-safety and presenting information
During our French lessons, we will be learning various greetings and how to say/write the different colours